Friday, June 18, 2010

Preparedness: Part One - The Decision

Do you know I’ve been crazy about food
storage and preparedness for the last 2 years?!

Well I have.

About 2 years ago I started having these moments of panic about the politics, the economy, job security, my family, and our future, which lead to thoughts about the last days. I kept wrestling with the thoughts of - how am I going to protect our family? How will I keep my family safe? How can I prepare my family for the uncertain future? Politics, the economy, the attitude of this rising generation (me, mine, now), national debt and things like that are all completely out of my hands. So, seriously how could I protect my family?

I have to admit, it wasn’t obvious and it didn’t come quickly, but I finally pieced together this thought . . .

Follow the Prophet.

I know, how profound.

I zeroed in on the things that would protect us from the failing; sad economy and I came up with these:

1) Get an education

2) Stay out of debt

3) Get your year’s supply

So walk through this simple thought was me . . . The Lord warns us and protects us, so if I listen to the prophet I’ll know what to do. The prophets have been telling us these things for a century, soooo maybe I better do it. I decided that if I could do my best to do what the Lord said would protect us, then I could just stop worrying.

Upon evaluation, I realized I was seriously lacking in the food storage and preparedness department.

At the time, we were saving to put carpet in the basement. Our basement had been sitting finished (less carpet) for over a year while we were saving and dying to have it done. I kept pushing this thought out of my mind - I should use all my carpet money to buy my food storage. But I just wanted carpet so bad I had a hard time entertaining that thought for too long. (Ahhh, the natural man!)

I was talking to my neighbor (and good friend) about all this one day and little did I know, she had just gone crazy too and got all of her food storage. I was telling her my mental debate and I can’t remember everything she said, but I went home with the decision made and the resolve to get my full year of food storage and forget my carpet until a later date.

I have NEVER looked back, I have NEVER regretted that resolve and I would not be the same person without the lessons that I quickly learned about obedience and the blessings we received.

I don’t want to be an “in your face” person about food storage because everyone has to work at their own pace and on their own understanding, I get that. BUT, I have decided that I have to share what I learned and how I did it because isn’t that what we’re suppose to do . . . share our testimony.

2 comments:

Ashby said...

I love this post Ashleigh! That's how I'm feeling right now, and I so wish I had 3 more days to spend with you in Utah to pick your brain about all things food storage! I hope you write more posts about what has worked for you, oh and I want to hear about the book you got too!

Mel said...

This was a great post! I would love for you to do a post on what you got! I am a visual learner. I felt the same you do and bought the 30 year stuff to last us for 4 months. But I need to finish out the year with stuff we eat from day to day. So pictures would be awesome of what you got and maybe I can learn from you!