Monday, August 8, 2011

Summer Part II

Kennecott Copper Mine . . . We went last year with Ansen's family (except Drew and I) but they talk about it all the time, so we gave it another go.  Really, it's pretty amazing.  17% of the world's copper comes right out of Utah. 




Classic Skating . . . I haven't been to Classic in years.  They've spruced it up a little and it's actually quite fun.  We brought (no joke) Olivia's bike, Addison's scooter, Drew's scooter, the helmets (that no one would wear), the riding worm and the trike.  At the last minute we had decided to leave the coaster cars at home.  So yes, basically we set up camp and stayed awhile. 



Harry Potter 2 . . . duh.  I'm sad it's over.  I love Harry Potter.  For 11 years now I have had a book or a movie to look forward to every summer and it's over.  In place of that, Jeff and I decided to celebrate Harry's birthday from now onw.  He'll be gone for the next 2 birthdays so it will be up to me alone to keep the momentum going.


The real Harry Potter fans went at 3:15 am (not Addison, but we let her be part of the "real Harry Potter fans picture" since she is).  Jeff re-read book 7 until 1:45 am and I re-watched 6 and 7 until 12:15 . . . yes, we are devoted  . . . and a little crazy about it.  I mean it has been part of our summer for 11 years.


Addison commented about how nice it was of Ansen to let us watch movies all night.  I told her this was kind of like the World Series for us and so he understands. 

Splash Parks . . . It's so amazing to live so close to so many cool parks.  It's kid mania at every park, but what fun and someone in the neighborhood is always game for the splash park.


Days of '47 Parade Floats . . . We went to the parade preview and my goodness, it was fun.  The floats were incredible and I now appreciate the 85 pounds of glitter that someone hand placed with 6 gallons of glue on those floats.  Plus there was face painting and balloons - what's not to love?!  This will be a definite for next year.




Swimming Lessons . . . I don't love the rush of running out of the house "early" every morning, but I LOVE sitting at the pool in the perfect weather every morning with the kids.  Olivia took group lessons in the morning.

And I got to sit with these two sweet kids.


And Addison took private in the evenings, when again the weather was cooler and quite perfect.


Boating . . . on Branda's boat.  It didn't look good when we had to chase Drew around the house to make sure his life jacket fit, but as soon as Addison had hers on and he saw the boat, it was smooth sailing from there.


Parks . . . Plenty of parks and picnic lunches.  Can't get enough.  It's the magical summer again for me since Drew is old enough to play and I have no baby in arms. 




Ice-Cream Cones . . . Usually a long day, a hot day or busy day necessitates an ice-cream cone.  We just have to hope Drew doesn't drop his. 


1 comment:

Cami said...

I'm really super sad we didn't get to go to all of these fun activities. Jake and I went to HP the night before but we didn't wait in the line forever for a good seat so we sat in the very front. Not SO great. But still worth it.