Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Lucky Me

A few days ago I was talking to a friend about our Moms and as I was listing off the kind of things my Mom had done, I realized {again} how blessed I am to have gotten such an amazing Mom.  My Mom was a "stay at home mom" which is a far cry from a "housewife."  She worked really hard and she really, really loved us. 


She kept a clean house and what was even harder and more impressive is she taught us how to keep a clean house, 
she kept the budget - my Dad made the money, but my always Mom made it last,
she sewed lots of our clothes and ALL of my high school dance dresses,
she did homework with me (like my autobiography until 8 am),
she got speeding tickets on the way to piano lessons,
she got me all the way out the door to college when I needed a little prodding,
she was at all of our baseball games . . . magically,
she made up dumb games with chocolate chips so that reading the scriptures would be more fun,
 she punished us when we deserved it,
she made homemade wheatbread and I only ever knew Mom's homemade chocolate chip (or raisen oatmeal) cookies,
she always stayed awake until we got home safe,
she made dinner every night and even lovingly saved our oatmeal for after school snack if we didn't eat it in the morning,
she made the best Halloween costumes,
and she has never let me down
(but I really hope I'm wrong with that last statement because otherwise there's no hope for me as a Mother).


She was always my parent before she was my friend. 
She's still my parent, but now she's mostly only my friend.

Wow, I love my Mom. 


I'm grateful that still after all these years of giving, she still came rushing (even after helping me that morning) to my aide again tonight when she came running in with the string I didn't have for my Relief Society Service Project I was in charge of.  She ran to the store, brought it all the way to me and then had to hurry home to make it to her own Mutual activity . . . just to help me out.


I hope that one day when my children are talking to their friends, they'll have half the good stuff I have to say about my Mom.

Thanks Mom . . . you made all the difference.

2 comments:

John said...

You really do have a great Mom. She's fully embraced the role and done her best at it. It was very nice of you to write this about her. I love you!

Thanks,

Dad

Natalie said...

What a GREAT tribute to your mother. You are an AWESOME mom and I am sure your children will have plenty of great things to tell about you when they are out on living on their own.