Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Ans n' Ash - Part 1

We met in Logan the day before school started in August 1998. Ansen introduced himself as, "Ansen, like Hansen . . . mmmm bop, but without the H." (Ansen doesn't remember when we first met, but he soon could not forget me:) 

He and his friends took me and all my little freshman roommates to a lot of school activities.  They took us to the cemetary at 2 in the morning to see the weeping woman, taught us to jump the fence and run around in the football stadium, played with us in a huge all apartment complex waterfight, snuck us into the underground tunnels of the school, drove us to Aggie A night, and showed us where to get free dinner every night of the week at difference school activites for the first 2 weeks of school.


This is the night I "impressed" him at Olive Garden by drinking 11 pink lemonades and 7 breadsticks and who knows how much salad.  And then thrifty me boxed up my actual meal and had lunch and dinner for the next day. 


The all apartment complex waterfight.  This was the first night I knew I would get along with my roommates and also realized the guys across the way were pretty cool too (we all teamed up).   And yes, I wore overalls.


The M4 girls is what everyone called us.  We all really got along . . . and we got along with Ansen's apartment too.  We played pratical jokes on one another all year, went shopping, ate dinner, hung out and got in all out wars.

I'm vividly remembering the dried oranges we had to clean off the door the last day of school that they thrown at our door at some point in the year.  I think I remember a broken window when they were trying to get in and pull us out the window.  I definitely remember a tampered with juice bottle and I remember salt in their whole gallon of milk . . .  yeah, we were all dumb.


We went on our first official date to Homecoming in October.  It moved pretty fast after that and by Thanksgiving we were thinking wedding - maybe. I e-mailed my Dad to ask him how my "friend" would know if they were following the Spirit correctly.  Dad caught on and thought "this little girl thinks she's going to get married" and wrote me an 11 page reply. 

(This was actually the Sweethearts Dance in February)


I went to Maine over Christmas break to meet his family, but we told everyone at home that I went to Farmington (left out the Maine part) to visit a friend - I wasn't ready for questions.  


We got engaged on February 12, 1999.


No comments: