Thursday, May 1, 2008

What I learned in high school . . .

Natalie posted (as usual) the funniest park experience that I keep laughing at. Look at Natalie & Ben-March 27, "A New Low" http://benatriley.blogspot.com/2008/03/new-low.html. Anyway, Natalie's blog reminded me of the moto we made up in high school that I've held onto . . .

Making a fool of yourself only gives people something to talk about and you something to laugh about.


Natalie's recent experience at the park reminded me of a favorite of mine. And to Natalie . . . thanks for the laughs and laughs then (the library window comes to mind) and now.

I was in Salt Lake over Conference weekend. Ansen's dad and Ansen were ushering at Conference and I was enjoying a mature ladies shopping day with my sweet little 6 month old. I was at the mall walking around when I noticed that Addison had lost her binky so I decided to re-trace all my steps looking for it. I was concentrating on the floor so hard that I didn't notice my baby slowly slipping out the bottom of her strolled. I was completely unaware of any problem-except for the missing binky-until I heard a loud slapping noise (Addison's belly, hands and then face slapping the tile floor) and then ran over a bump (my baby) with the stroller. The ladies at the check out counter looked absolutely mortified and I'm sure they were thinking what senseless mother let that immature girl babysit their helpless baby. But oh, no I was the mother. I did find her binky under a clothes rack as I was bending over the pick up her up, which made me question whether it had ever even been lost in the first place or just under her in the stroller.

Unfortunately this whole scene happened a little over a year later at Temple Square while we were looking at the Christmas lights with my friend Jen. Addison was a little older, but there was a bigger audience.

She lived and I actually think she's exceptionally smart considering. I have learned my lesson, kind of, since I strap Olivia in every time in spite of the screaming and kicking. But, really who am I kidding, it's not a safety issue, it's a containment issue.

11 comments:

Nicole said...

That is way embarrassing. Thanks for sharing.

Mindy said...

Ashleigh- You've been tagged! Check out my blog for the rules.
Mindy

Natalie Que said...

That is hilarious Ash, I am dying! I can totally picture it. Classic. Thanks for the shout-out. We really should recount some of the stuff we did back in those days, it was pretty creative and I think people might get a kick out of it. I am starting to forget many of them!

By the way, here's a funny video from youtube. This lady's face kind of describes how I felt in that moment after the swing disaster. Ah, she kills me every time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K21jd1u3byI

Kate said...

Ok this is hilarious! Why have I never hear this story before, that's what I want to know!

Amy C said...

This story is great! I can't imagine that happening, at least Addy didn't get hurt! btw thanks for the link to the other blog, that story was hilarious as well. I think your high school moto is a great one!

Mel said...

That happened to me too with Ryan. Ran right over him when he was about 4 mo.old (even worse) Heather was with me and she was like your running over Ryan. So sad! Atleast I didn't have anyone around me. Hey you found the binki! Ha Ha

Nadia said...

This is one of those stories that your kids will tell and laugh about when they get older! I'm still getting the hang of blogging and totally spaced notifying our friends that we have one!

kristen said...

oh my gosh. i think i just peed my pants.

Amanda said...

Umm.. that statement is so true! I checked out the friend story and laughed so hard! So thanks for the laughs and by the way love the new design!

Nadia said...

Hey Ashleigh,
I need to give you our updated blog link because I changed it.
sncates.blogspot.com

Marianne said...

Wow - I wouldn't say "making a fool out of yourself"...it's more like serious child abuse that should be reported! I've never done anything like that to my children.
It was good to talk to you today! See ya soon!