Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Snow!

Winter is here and Fall is over . . . even though Olivia tried so hard to preserve it. This cup of water with Olivia's beautiful (dead) leaves sat on the counter top for a week or so. I couldn't get rid of it, because it made me smile every time I saw it.


The snow finally came, just a week late for Christmas.

The girls wanted to play in the snow so I made them wait until Drew was up from his nap since I was sure he'd love it too.   He woke up, we all got dressed up and headed out. 

In my mind, the kids were going to frolic in the snow while I got some cute pictures with my new camera and then as they continued to joyfully frolic I would shovel the walks and drive way.  Then we would all gleefully go inside to warm up and enjoy some hot chocolate and good conversation together. 

As a mother, it's just better to go with the flow with absolutely no idea of how the anticipated event will go. 

Drew stood in the garage crying for the first 20 minutes.

 
I tried to take some pictures, but got really paranoid about the snow flake that hit my lens window (or whatever you call it) since my Dad just gave me all his tips for keeping my camera in good condition and the #1 rule (besides the obvious, but still discussed, rules to not drop the camera and not let the kids touch the camera . . . EVER) was KEEP THE LENS CLEAN. 


The girls did joyfully frolic in the snow and I did shovel the front walk and a 1/4 of the driveway.


Drew did finally stop crying long enough to walk out to the driveway, fall in the snow and start crying again. 

So, I g ave up and Drew and I went in.  He was perfectly content to watch the girls out his bedroom window.

The girls did eventually come in and we did have hot chocolate and good conversation.

I usually strongly consider the aftermath of such a event, but didn't think it into my wonderful afternoon plans.   Eveywhere I looked was another piece of wet clothing and dirty water was melted all over the kitchen floor. 

So in the end. . .

I learned that Drew does NOT like to frolic in the snow . . .  
unless the problem was just that he had to wear pink boots.


And the girls got a little reminder course of how to take care of our stuff afterwards when we want to play in the snow.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

We all know the pink boots wasn't the problem....