Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Always and Forever Su-Lan Wu

So there's those books, the books your child brings you to read and it makes you want to scream.


There's this book Addison found while we lived at my Mom's . . . Su-Lan Wu : A Visit to China. She loved it and we read it all the time. I was only able to get through it knowing we would soon move and sadly leave it behind.


But then my Mom, so kindly, offered that Addison could take it home for awhile and we were stuck. After about a year with Su-Lan Wu, I asked Ansen if there were any books he just hated reading to the kids . . . Su-Lan Wu. My sentiments exactly.


3 1/2 YEARS (yes, YEARS) it doesn't matter what garbage I hide this book in . . . it finds it way back to the bedroom bookcase and into our nightly routine where Ansen or I loath every minute.


Ansen doesn't have the heart to throw it away so he just hides it, which turns out is more effective than the garbage, so it holds us at bay for a few weeks and then


MAGIC . . . Su-Lan Wu is back.


Just this last Sunday, Addison comes walking into our room with this big smile and excited Olivia at her heels with this - "look what I found!" . . . oh yeah, Su-Lan Wu.
Ansen and I just made enough eye contact to end up laughing . . .


But over the years we have found some favorites . . .

I Know a Rhino
Click, Clack, Moo and Giggle, Giggle, Quack
any Fancy Nancy (or Fancy Dancy for Olivia)
5 Little Monkeys with Nothing to Do
Toot and Puddle
Hoover's Bride
any Olivia book
Mommy's Little Girl and Daddy's Little Girl
Dumpy the Dump Truck
I'm a Big Sister
George and Martha
On My Own
Stephanie's Ponytail
Moosetache

Most of these we all have memorized and we throw random quotes into our day.

3 comments:

Englishfam said...

Ash I have been loving all of your posts lately! I especially loved the last one with your confessional of not having the girls hair done every day. You crack me up!I am actually doing good with the 3 kid transition so far. James goes back to work in less than 2 weeks and I think I will fall apart when he goes back! I am not looking forward to it. As for the hated books-we also have MANY hated ones that we can't seem to throw away! Actually Preston doesn't like the books with actual stories, he always wants the "finding" books that take about 10 times longer to get through. Smart kid. Thanks for the laugh!

Andrea said...

I am laughing at this post because I have certainly been in the same place. I hate, and I mean HATE those Francis books. But somehow they always end up in the stack of "to-read." Kids!

I love many of the books you have on your list too!

Ashby said...

This was SO funny. A few of our favorites are the Pigeon books - Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus, and Don't Let the Pigeon Stay Up Late. Another favorite is Itzy, Bitzy House but for some reason I can't find it ANYWHERE to purchase. If I do, I'm totally sending you a copy. SO CUTE!