Monday, October 29, 2012

Baby Blankets (Pics Added - Repost)

I've sewn before in my previous life of less children, less work and more time.  But two years ago I started going to a quilt class and re-found my love of sewing.  Or maybe just found, since I'm not sure I really ever loved it before. Since it's become (kind of) a big part of my life right now, I thought I would document it - at least some of my favorites.

Sewing was the first thing I could do after my accident (since I could just sit) that made me feel like a person again.  And it's been my "mental out" to make it through the week for the last 2 1/2 years.

I made both Addison and Olivia their own crib sets.  My mom helped me a ton on Addison's and I made Liv's all by myself.  I made their precious baby blankets especially for them . . . though they'd never know it and they were never attached to them since I wanted to keep them "special."  Lesson learned.  I guess they'll still always be special to me.

Addison's had these tiny 1" squares that I sweated, cursed and hated until it was done, but loved for every minute after that.


I took her picture every month on the 30th with her blanket to document her first year . . . so it did get used.





Olivia's I was a little smarter and went with bigger squares.  This was the first time I happened upon a "real" quilting store and thought it was coincidence that there were fabric lines that matched perfectly.   My mom had just bought a long arm quilter and this was one of our first tries at quilting.


And I agree there's a little too much yellow, but the room was yellow when we bought it so I tried to work with what I had.  I made that whole bedroom set and was so proud  . . . now I realize I might have been borderline stupid since I could have bought one for the same price and saved the time . . . But I like to tell myself it was the "experience" I was doing it for . . .


And I wasn't as diligent of a mom or maybe it was because our stuff was in storage for 7 months after Liv was born, but this is all I can find for pictures of her.


Oh, I miss those little babies!

No comments: