Okay, I'm way behind . . .
Ansen's 32nd birthday was last Monday (St. Patrick's Day)! We celebrated with my family Sunday since it was Ryan's birthday too and he was here (birthdays come to 2's all year in my family). Then Monday the girls and I took balloons and lunch to Ansen's office. Addie and Liv loved it, but the frosty in the carpet, french fry grease all over his chairs, fighting over the balloons and sprite spilled on the desk was not Ansen's idea of fun. It sounded like a good idea . . . We had Ansen's favorite dinner and then more great cake. Ansen didn't really want anything particular for his birthday this year, so I figured this would be the perfect year to get Ansen a bike. He said he'd never ride a bike again after his mission, but he was actually excited about it. We'll see how it goes this summer! HAPPY BIRTHDAY (again) ANSEN!
2001 (On the Cruise)
2003
2006 (Ansen & Ryan -one of the more disastorous cake experiences)
In honor of Ansen's birthday, here's one of my favorite stories for the pages of
IDIOT ACTS
by Ansen & Ashleigh Hatch
I think we'd been married 2 1/2 years, when we came up with a brillant plan. A couple of Ansen's friends found out that you could sell cinder blocks back to Home Depot and Lowe's for $2. Since it was the end of school and everyone was moving home for the summer there were cinder blocks everywhere. We came up with this idea to make money by finding cinder blocks and then selling them all back. We set the plan in action at 2:00 in the morning when Ansen got home from work (this is where our horrible night owl habits began-college). We wore all black, just for effect, and drove around "stealing" all the cinder blocks lying around apartment complexes all over Logan. We'd fill the trunk and back seat of our Taurus (our first of four Tauruses) until the car rims were riding on the tires. We'd head home, dump off our load, and then hunt for more. We spent most of the night doing this. Since we were also still newlyweds we had fun all night playing "funny games" with eachother like driving off while the other one is running down the road carrying 2 cinderblocks and so on. We also spent the whole night discussing how we would spend our whole $200 (remember the poor college student life?). We didn't get home until about 2 or 3 hours before I was suppose to be to work for the whole day, but it was going to be all worth it.
Anyway, Saturday morning Ansen and his friend load them into his Explorer and head down to bring home the dough. Pretty soon Ansen calls to see how I want to spend my $10. Turns out too many people had returned them and they were now only buying them for 15 cents per cinder block. I think we ended up with barely enough to go out to dinner. We were both so sore for a week afterward from carrying the cinder blocks . I couldn't lift my arms high enough to do my hair.
This was probably pretty typical of mine and Ansen's first 5 years of marriage. We still laugh everytime we think about it. Ahh, the memories!



9 comments:
Loved the cinder block story. I look back at college days and wonder if it all really happened. Things just happen that I can't imagine ever happening now.
Congratulations on making the cake. Home made cakes are really hard to do. I spent forever making one for Easter and it was a total flop, it actually made me kind of sick.
Happy Birthday Ansen! I have heard that story about the cinder blocks so many times and it still makes me laugh just as hard each time. I can totally imagine you 2 doing that, and I love that it was the version 1 Taurus!
Happy Birthday, Ansen! Okay-seriously?! The cinder block thing I had never heard of and was really funny! You crack me up..
This story was hilarious! You know you're a poor college kid when you'll do those kind of things for money! Happy b-day Ansen!
Happy birthday! Okay, that story about the cinder blocks is hilarious!!! Aren't you so glad you made those fun memories? That's priceless.
I'm probably the only one with enough guts to say this, but: did Ansen like the big handle of Absolut Vodka he got in one of his birthday pics? Come on, you can tell us the truth!
I had no idea you could sell cinder blocks back! This story is hilarious! Oh the things poor college kids would do! Happy Birthday Ansen! Congrats Ashleigh on making the cake! I always buy the german chocolate kind, the thought of making it scares me!
To Clarify . . . Ansen got the Vodka bottle from his BFF in HS (who was not Mormon) and used it as a fish bowl. First we had Norm (from Cheers) and when he passed on, I got him Cliff for his birthday. We actually disposed of the bottle when Cliff died and we had Addison knowing it wasn't the best visual aide to grow up with, but apparently it will live on to haunt us.
great story!! the good ole days of living in logan and at one point or another trying to find something to do!! and i too was wondering about the vodka. geez if i had known you had that at hanbury we could have gotten the hollands and had a party. and speaking of the hollands, didnt know if you knew they had their new baby boy today. no details yet!
Post a Comment