I have put 100+ hours into our garden and have now been able to provide my family by the sweat of my brow with 38 jalapenos, 4 green peppers and lots of big green vines that smell like tomato plants though there has been little evidence to support it.
Granted the other 1/2 of the garden was trampled to death by my neighbor (don't even get me to go there) and then never re-planted. I think jalapenos are about 17 cents so I'm looking at about a .06 cent per hour rate of return, assuming I'm able to use that many jalapenos with no tomatoes. Better luck in 09.
Olivia in her gardening shoes.

Olivia in her gardening shoes.
4 comments:
I am just barely getting some little tomatoes on my plants so don't give up hope yet! We have gotten a TON of zucchini from just one plant and that is all for our bounty this year. I have decided strawberries are worthless because they double every year and so just the leafy plants have taken up half of my garden and all we have to show is about 100 tiny strawberries that wouldn't even make a jar of jam. The joy of gardening right?! Congrats on the jalapenos, I love that you went and priced it out, you are so funny.
I NEED some gardening shoes like those!! I am just proud of you for even trying a garden- something I haven't even tried, yet. Way to go!
Don't feel bad about the garden, my parents' garden didn't yield much produce this year either. Some of my neighbors have had good luck and others not so much. It's awesome that you even tried. Dave and I didn't get that far this year. Perhaps in 09 for us as well. At least you know your jalapenos are safe to eat, unlike some at the store.
i think we all deserve to hear the neighbor garden trampling story . . . how can you leave me hanging like that :)
Post a Comment