I'm an "all or nothing" person, which means I do it 150% or I don't do it at all. Which also means sometimes I'm crazy and most of the time I don't get a lot done. Anyway, I'm working on my food storage (for probably the next 5 years at the rate I'm going) and my main focus right now is milk. My first thought is powdered milk is not good no matter what, so go cheap. Then I found some great tasting powdered milk, but quite expensive. After shopping around a bit I realized that no #10 can is created the same and they all vary quite drastically in weight, number of gallons each makes, storage space needed, price, nutrient value, etc. Hoping I could justify the expensive milk I started a comparison spreadsheet, which eventually led to me buying several different kinds and then hosting a milk sampling day at my house for my ward. Macey's is having a huge food storage sale this week (through at least the 20th) and 2 of the "good" milks are on sale there so I wanted to share my research results.
First, my neighbor recommended this awesome book . . . Food Storage in a Nutshell . . . which is where a lot of my information comes from. The church recommends 16 pounds of dried milk per person for a year and this book recommends quite a bit more. The difference is the church recommends the amount you could survive off and the book recommends the amount you more likely need and/or use. So, all of my calculations go off the assumption that you need an average of 3 cups of milk per day (realizing you probably won't have yogurt, as much cheese, etc.).
I'm not claiming to be an expert and I only tested 4 of the milks I've most heard about, but I hope this helps. I also have a nice spreadsheet (remember, I'm an accountant) with my calculations that I can e-mail if anyone is interested. Here's my results:
COUNTRY CREAM POWDER: (Granda's Country Store, 386 West 9400 South, Sandy)
4.03 lbs, $13.99, 14 cans/person/year, $196/person/year, $2.80/gallon
**TASTES 2ND BEST, BUT VERY COMPARABLE TO THE COUNTRY FRESH FARMS AND MORNING MOOS, COMES IN CHOCOLATE ALSO
MORNING MOOS: (Macey's)
4 lbs, $13.99, 16 cans/person/year, $224/person/year, $3.29/gallon
On sale at Macey's in Cans: $8.88, $142/person/year, $2.09/gallon
On sale at Macey's in Buckets: 37 lbs/$57.99, 1.75 buckets/person/year, $102/person/year, $1.48/gallon
Powder in Cans $82.14=Powder is Buckets $57.99
** This is a milk alternative so it's not pure dried milk. Everyone has their opinion about this. But I compared the nutrient values and my opinion is that my family still gets the nutrients we'll need and it's cheap-er.
** TASTES 3RD BEST, BUT VERY COMPARABLE TO THE COUNTRY FRESH FARMS AND COUNTRY CREAM POWDER (some people noted they could tell is was an alternative, but only after I said it was), COMES IN CHOCOLATE ALSO
COUNTRY FRESH FARMS: (Macey's)
2.06 lbs, $13.99, 30 cans/person/year, $420/person/year, $3.29/gallon
On sale at Macey's in Cans: $5.99/ $180/person/year, $2.66/gallon
**PROBABLY TASTES THE BEST, BUT VERY COMPARABLE TO THE MORNING MOOS AND COUNTRY CREAM POWDER
CHURCH CANNERY:
$8.40 (fluctuates), 19 cans/person/year, $160/person/year, $2.32/gallon
**DOES NOT TASTE GOOD, ACTUALLY IT'S HORRIBLE WHEN SITTING RIGHT NEXT TO THE OTHER CHOICES
The church published a new shelf life list this summer and powdered milk is 20 years, but some of the cans even say 25. A bucket I've been told should last the same, but once it's opened then it needs to be used. So the buckets are not good for rotating, but are good for a long term storage and then used at some unknown time.
8 comments:
what's the shelf life?
I love you for doing this! Thanks so much...
Congrats on a boy! That is so exciting for you guys! I would rather die than drink powdered milk, is that terrible!!!
Seriously. So. Amazing! Can you keep doing all the food storage research on this and post it so I can just go out and buy it? I also left Congrats for you on getting a boy on the previous post but there was some kind of error so... CONGRATS!!
Good work little lady. Now, can you tell me what you use powdered milk for (other than the obvious drinking it). I never buy it because I don't want to open a $14 can to make 2 cups of milk to get my kids by until I can make it to the store. Any suggestions?
so, what are you getting? a mix of them all - or going pro with the country fresh? :)
p.s. i got the cannery milk for $5.60/10# can last month. i was surprised because the order form i printed off the internet said it was $8.40 - now it says $10something. i think i'll just buy a cow and call it good - i'm sure the neighbors won't mind :)
Thanks for posting this Ashleish! I couldn't make it over to your house last week, so I appreciate the recap!
Hi Ashleigh,
I am taking a food storage class at church and thought of this post. I shared it with a lady in my ward, hope you don't mind! Does this sale happen at Macey's once a year or just at random times? I am sure I could rope Kate or Kristine into picking me up some when it comes on sale, because those sale prices are fantastic! If you could let me know that would be great! {frugalisfab at gmail dot com}
Post a Comment